Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gymnastics

Now that Chloe is almost three I've decided it's time for a hobby and because I really am crazy, I decided to sign her up for gymnastics, adding to our hectic fall schedule. So yesterday was her first class. Am I like the other mommies who sent their kids in comfy old sweats? Nope. We went out bought a leotard. With sparkles on it. I slicked her hair back in a Shawn Johnson-style ponytail. Why all the effort for her to roll around on some mats for 45 minutes? Because I'm super-competitive-mommy of course!!

I loved watching my girl, don't get me wrong, I do think the most important thing in this endeavor is for her to have fun (and burn off lot's of energy before naptime!). But it killed me that she was not the best in her class. Granted she's the youngest (a 3 year old class full of almost 4 year old boys- she'll be 3 in November). She's never done anything like this before and is not so great in the coordination department yet. I still expected her to cruise down the beam with grace and be doing back handsprings down the tumbling mat! It's that competitive bug, I'm tellin' ya! I played competitive softball for 16 years and I love to win!! I always wanted to be the best at what I did and being a mommy is no exception. How is that proven to the world? By the success of your children!! (I have issues!) My husband, on the other hand, is totally not competitive!! The exact opposite of me!!

So I chatted up Chloe's teacher after class and she assured me that Chloe is exactly where she should be and after a few weeks of class the ADD will wear off (my girl ran off a few times to play on other equipment-oops!!). And I had a major heart check when we got home. I reminded myself of the purpose of gymnastics- fun and meeting other kids. I reminded myself that she's only 2 (and even Shawn Johnson wasn't doing backhand springs down the mat at 2- there's still time!!). I will not push my daughter. I will not be a crazy mommy. I will not have unreasonable expectations. I will be thankful for the beautiful, clumsy, ADD child God has given me. But tell me this.....there is a bit of a resemblence isn't there???


No comments:

Post a Comment