Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Your Thoughts....

Okay, I have blogged a bit before on Chloe's crazy imginary friend, Hilly. Hilly has been with us for about 2 years now, off and on. She has died, but then come back to life. Her hobbies include making messes, playing with fire and other bodily functions I will not share (although Hilly has no shame in sharing them!). She has parents, Walter and Susan, and siblings: Cluckclucken and Messin. Go figure. I guess I have a very imaginative child. Don't ask me if Hilly's siblings are boys or girls because that changes daily, as do all of their ages. Sometimes Hilly is a grown up, sometimes a baby. Whatever Chloe feels like I guess.

This morning Chloe told me that Hilly prays to idols. Yup, now we have an idol-worshipper in our God-fearin' household.

I don't take much of Hilly's antics seriously. For a while, when she was really into playing with fire and candles (Chloe was about 2.5) I used those "incidents" to remind Chloe that she should never touch fire, matches, candles, etc.

For the most part, Hilly's harmless. Except for the mess she makes in the playroom, that ticks me right off.

What's your opinion on imaginary friends??? Are their behaviors in any way indicative of what a child may be experiencing themselves?? If so...I'm in trouble with all the talk of idol worship!

Just curious to see what other's think on this "issue"....

2 comments:

  1. I don't have very much experience with this and would love to hear other's thoughts as it appears I am going to have a very imaginative and creative three year old.

    Here is my gut thoughts and reactions. I think the imaginary friend thing is totaly normal. I remember my sister and I having pretend friends until we were five and six. It was just fun. My mother never let us lie about what we really did though.

    As far as the idol worship thing. She is probably just parroting some talk she has heard somewhere and it sounds interesting to her. As her mother you have a great opportunity to turn this into a heart thing with her. Talk with her and tell her what you believe and what you know is true. She might not understand everything you are saying but she will get it over time. You can tell her that "in our house" we believe this. Sorry for the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh lisa! I'm sorry, but that is so funny! This week Ezra said to me, "Some people worship the devil." Woa. That was weird. But, I think it is something they must have heard someone talking about and they're just repeating it, but don't really understand what it means. As far as imaginary friends, I think you have a little girl with a huge imagination and high intelligence and I think that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete