Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Three Babies In And I'm Finally Getting It...

So we had this great speaker at MOPS yesterday who, I swear, secretly video tapes my life. She summed up a few ineffective parenting strategies with examples that literally are my day-to-day. A few of these "strategies" are the repeating parent (girls it is time to go, really, put your shoes on now, it's time to go. girls it's time to go....x17 before they really get ready to go), the repeating/threatening parent (if you don't clean up your toys I am going to send them to poor children in China who don't have toys, really, it's time to clean up your toys!), the doormat parent (once in target, no we are not getting snacks here, really, not getting snacks! add in about 10 minutes of a certain child whining and mine are enjoying their popcorn while i feel like an idiot) and the "lost her marbles parent" (see how crazy you're making mommy? see how upset mommy is? like my tears and frustration are going to make my kids see their own bad behavior, correct it and discipline themselves...yeah right!).

It was the consensus at my table that we all do this. We're so not alone. That's what they need to tell you at the hospital after your first child is born. You're not alone. We all struggle. You're not the worst parent ever.

It took me three kids but I've finally "gotten" that part of parenting.

Loved Missy's post.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, just wanted to let you know I linked to you and your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Lisa! It's so good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete