This week has been much better, school-wise, than last week and even the week before that. I'm learning, and re-learning not to have much in the way of expectations each day when it comes to school work. Be flexible. Which is not so easy for my type-A, scheduled, routine-loving personality.
I'm also reading reading "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. It's fascinating me. Learning about introverted children, extroverted children, spirited children has really opened my eyes to my kids, their personalities and the different ways they need me to parent them. (My little spirited extrovert has chattered non-stop while I'm trying to write this, a characteristic typical of her breed. Needing to talk through all of her thoughts.....)
This past week I asked Chloe why I needed to tell her several times to do something. She replied "Because I have short term memory loss!!". If only.
Silas has started to wake up in the middle of the night. May I remind you that this child didn't sleep through the night until shortly after his first birthday? So we've had just 6 short months of "real" sleep. And now it's over. He wakes up usually around 11:00 (about an hour after I fall asleep in bed, two hours after I fall asleep on the couch!) and just wants to play. One evening he was so upset and was clamoring to get out of my arms and go out of his bedroom. So he wandered around the house, shutting the bathroom and laundry room door, wanting the ottoman moved away from the couch, putting toys away. Basically wanted things to look the way they do during the day when he's awake. He had a little snack and a bottle then snuggled in my bed for a bit.
Well, now he wants this every night. This cannot be. Mama is tired. So the last time this happened I made him stay in his room and we layed on a blanket on his floor, sang some songs and cuddled for about an hour. He went back to bed happily. I love this one-on-one time but it can't happen in the middle of the night. Tips? He was also bottle free for six days, then saw one on the counter and looked at me with sad eyes and said "Beeeeesssss?" (please) and I caved. Now he's back on the bottle. If it keeps him looking like a baby I will do it!
The other night this girl, who usually hates having her picture taken, posed for me. A lot. And liked it! Ha! I now having a willing model. Can't wait until she feels better to snap away again.
Hopefully my children kick the sniffles to the curb today because we are supposed to have a busy weekend. Happy friday!

Short term memory loss?!?!? Love it.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry your little ones are sick. James has been sick also-ear infection, but he is feeling lots better now.
no real tips on the sleep thing-except to be consistent every night. I know-the hardest thing when you are sleepy yourself. Of course if he is sick I would be more flexible, could that be why he is waking up? He has the cold/virus thing also?