As an adult feeling the pinch of student loans, the thought of my daughter dealing with the same thing makes me nauseous. But in a one income (teacher salary) family saving for college just isn't a reality for us right now. Ending the month with more than $6 in our bank account is more like it.
This has been on my mind constantly lately. I've come up with the best solution: pray that the rapture happens in the next 11 years. That will solve the "pay for a wedding" issue as well. Heck, our student loans won't even be paid off in the next 11 years so I can cross that off the list as well!
I'm not downplaying the growth that can come from a college experience (meaning going away to a four year college like the husband and I) but maybe college isn't for every kid? That was never an option for me. It was always known and expected that I would get a degree. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college. Those four (three actually, I graduated a semester early, saving thousands of dollars in student loans!) years changed and molded me in a way that nothing else could have. My faith grew exponentially. Friendships were formed that are lifelong. That time in my life I hold so incredibly dear. Both Andrew and I want our kids to have that opportunity, if they decided college was for them.
![]() |
| Where the Hubs and I met, and fell in love. Simpson University, Redding, CA |
If they decided against attending a 4 year college, what are their other options? A trade school? I am really in the dark about this whole realm of education. I guess it's something we'll have to look into when the time comes.
I had the opportunity to go to college for free, and I turned it down. I think about that a lot. Every month in fact when we make another student loan payment. I don't regret my choice, I wouldn't have the life I have now had I not followed the path that I did. But then I think that maybe one of my kids may have that opportunity by getting some type of scholarship. But I also know the hours of hard work, things you give up and money spent to develop your skill and get a scholarship offer. And I'm not sure that's the path I want to head down either.
I don't have the answers to theses questions. I just needed to get the thoughts out. Where do you stand on this issue? Is college essential for everyone? Do you regret your choice to attend college when you get those stinkin' student loan bills?

small world...My husband and I also met at Simpson (back when it was College not University)...
ReplyDeleteI have the same feeling about college and our kids. Our daughter is almost 11, 7 years from that decision....currently my husband is a pastor with a denomination that gives out considerable scholarships for children...but what if something changes in the next 7 years...what if she doesn't want to go to college? I was also the 1st in my family to go to college (and it was expected that I go)...we are just putting it in God's hands and we will know what to do when the time comes...don't think I answered your questions...unless,'um, I don't know,' is an answer...
It is a lot to think about. My oldest is only five years away from college!
ReplyDeleteI don't know that I regret my college education. I regret paying for it later rather than while I was in school. I think I would have appreciated it so much more.
I also regret what I did in college. I was an English major and History minor. I went to liberal arts college where most girls went into teaching when they graduated. I knew in the back of my mind I just really wanted to be a homemaker and a mom. I just didn't have the bravery to say that. If I could go back now I would have taken classes that would have helped me with that. If I even went at all.
All I think we can really do is pray for our children and help them to make the best decisions they can for that time.
I am going to do everything I can though to discourage my children from taking out loans.
I love your thoughts and I agree wholeheartedly. My only issue is that now that ya got me thinking about college too, and my oldest is only three! Ha!
ReplyDelete