So some friends have questioned my sanity in the last few months with our choice to homeschool both girls with all the other family growth and changes going on. I can't say I truly blame them. I have as well on certain days. But. I'm going to say it. Even if it risks all you-know-what letting lose since I'm putting it into real words on the internets.
Homeschooling two children is easier for me than homeschooling one.
Having Ava in kindergarten, and Chloe in second grade gives them both structured learning time each day. I don't feel like one is the priority over the other and I just have to complete such and such with Chloe, as I've felt in the past. It's easy to assign one of them to entertain Silas when I need focused time with the other. Silas gets to play with each sister individually, and I get quiet time to focus with kid doing school work. Then, I can even give them both independent work, and I get time to play with Silas.
Our day just flows more smoothly. Now, being the type A gal that I am, I made a daily, hourly schedule of what our day, ideally, should look like. We've followed that schedule all of twice. But it gives me a guide, so I don't get overwhelmed with things to accomplish. I've followed it loosely a few times and it's been super helpful.
I love that we've been on this journey of homeschooling for a few years now and I can encourage moms that are just starting out. The memories are so fresh in my mind of starting kindergarten and worrying that I was ruining my child for life. I spoke to a friend last night and encouraged her that the two things that stand out as the most important things I accomplished when Chloe was in kindergarten were as follows:
1. Letting my child know that I choose time spent homeschooling her. I want to be with her. I want to be obedient to God's call to keep her home with me. Building that relationship with her was amazing. It added such an important level of trust and a bond that could not have formed any other way for my girl and I.
2. She has a LOVE for reading. She has developed a strong reading ability and loves escaping into great books. I love this about her and pray it stays with her throughout her life.

Oh boy, everything changes when you have the older children old enough to watch the smaller ones while you do other stuff. Suddenly, it seems you can breathe a little.
ReplyDeleteYour girls look adorable and you are doing a great job!
first of all, I can't believe you have a 2nd grader!! second...what homeschool program are you going through? exploring ALL my options and praying that we get to homeschool next year when Claire starts kinder. thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDelete