Halloween has come and gone. I had four adorable Ninja Turtles this year.
Those shells, I die. They were so darn cute. Fun to make and cost me $20 for four kids' costumes! I found the tutorial on Pinterest, but as with most things on Pinterest, the directions were actually accurate. You HAVE to add a tiny amt of dish soap to the tempera paint when painting on foil pans. Otherwise the paint will not spread out and if you work fast and furiously enough to get the pan covered, the pain will quickly peel off once it dries. Ask me how I figured this out, I dare you.
The last few weeks I have been off Facebook. Man, that site has become a time-sucking joy-stealer for me, to put it lightly. I felt convicted to take a break. I wasn't sure how long it would last but I knew I needed a change. So it lasted over three weeks. And I re-activated my account, but thankfully, Fb lost it's appeal to me in those three weeks, I'm only on sporadically now and when I am on, it's for a couple minutes. I realized that just because I read someone's status updates I'm not actually part of their life. I rarely posted anything but pictures of my kids. The once small group of friends I had on there had grown large enough that I was no longer comfortable sharing the ups and downs and interesting things of my day. So while it's "nice" to keep tabs on all the random people you went to high school with or shared a class with at college, Fb, for me, had become largely superficial. I struggled with comparing myself with that "friend" who posts 27 selfies a week showing her new highlights/earrings/sweaty post workout glow and envying her free time and new kitchen table and highlights/earrings/sweaty post workout glow. I don't have highlights, my baby pulls out my earrings and I just look gross after I break a sweat (I don't work out, let's be honest). So it was time to go.
Side note: Chloe thought the term selfie referred to the fact that the picture was taken with a cell phone. So it would actually be a "cell-fie". Adorable.
So that's what's new around here. Oh, and I took down a painting we were given by family five years ago. It was huge and I used to love it and now when I see it I realize it's just totally not my style. This may seem silly, but it's been hugely freeing and symbolic to me. So my ginormous dining room wall is completely bare. Which drives me a little crazy, because I like things to be "finished". But. It's freeing. To find things I love, that represent our family, to put on this huge space in our house is exciting me. Now, to find a new home (not mine) for this huge painting.
And I finally looked up the difference between using good and well in a sentence. Well would be used as an adverb. As in, "I slept well last night." Good, used as an adjective. Those were some good cookies you baked for me. I'm nerdy, I know. (This is a "most of the time" rule, there are always exceptions.)



No comments:
Post a Comment