Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Six years ago...

Wow I can't believe it's been 6 years!! Six years ago at this time I was at Mother's Choice in Hong Kong as part of a summer missions team thru Simpson. It feels like yesterday. I can still year the cars speeding past my "bedroom" (really a small closet with a door to the outside) window. I can smell Ah Ping making rice and weird lemon chicken in the kitchen. I can hear the TV blaring the "Friends" theme song in the living room. I can feel the humidity and sticky floor of the verandah beneath my feet. My most vivid memory is the sweet smell of my babies that I cared for in small room. Their laundry detergent in the clothes. The goop we'd put in their hair to make it lay flat. Their yummy baby smell. It's difficult and even painful to write about because I still miss this city and these children just as strongly as I did the day I left them. These are bittersweet memories and my heart aches to know my babies are all happy and healthy now, with forever families. Sweet little Christopher, whom I named, with his young mommy who just needed some time to get on her feet after his birth. Bethany, another one kept by her birthparents- only teenagers themselves. Little Olivia, with her huge chubby cheeks, and her 15 year old birthmom sobbing at the door to the small room after she signed over her parental rights. Ryan and Waylan, newborns only 3 days old brought to our care. My Caleb, the first baby who stole my heart; he was adopted by a Canadian couple who lived in HK and they changed his name to Charles. Micah, now living with a wonderful family here in the states and brother to Amelia named by Mel; both little Downs Syndrome angels with their sweet dimples and big smiles. Mostly I remember and ache for my Ivan. His mom was Chinese and said his daddy was Chinese too, but he could have been my child with his reddish hair and caucasian shaped nose. I spend about 15 hours a day with this little boy from the time he was a few days old until he was matched and left MC at three months old. I love him still as I did the day I met him. I was the one to see his first smile, hear his first laugh, I was the only one who could comfort him when he was upset. Whenever I was homesick or had a rough day I would take him upstairs with me and snuggle him on the couch until we both fell asleep. He would have turned six on May 18. I trust that he is safe and happy and healthy and pray I get to meet him again someday.

2 comments:

  1. oh. i totally get what you're saying...and know your feeling...and am now remembering so much...:)
    love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking all about our trip that summer a few weeks ago and wanted to pull out the video and watch. I to have so many memories that still come back to me so strong as if I just left. I don't think I will ever forget the smells, the people and especially the babies.

    ReplyDelete