Monday, September 22, 2008

Up on my soap box

I'm climbing up on my soap box for today's post. Get ready. It's a rare occurance.

My kids do not watch much television. We do Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, almost always from On Demand, rarely on the actual channel. But on that long, rough day when Mommy does not feel well and the sky is falling I'd like to be able to let them watch a little more that usual without fearing that they'll lose their innocence because of a wayward cartoon character. Maybe it's just me but I do not want to hear the following coming from my 2 year old's mouth:
1. Stupid (D.W. on "Arthur")
2. Oh my gosh (Mickey Mouse on "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse")
3. NO, I don't want to!! (Caillou on "Caillou")- I could go on and on about Caillou, this kid is so stinkin' bratty and disrespectful towards his parents!

I'm going to stop now because it just makes me angry that I even have to worry what is said on a CHILDREN'S TELEVISION SHOW! Even when our On Demand channel is on the commercials they show in between programs are for violent and sometimes scary movies and shows. What is going on?! I know, I know there's an easy solution to all this...no television, or just watch our Veggie Tales and Baby Einstein.

Let's not even get started on Bratz dolls....

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! Last Christmas I was so excited to see the Peanut's Christmas movie, you know with the famous Charlie Brown Christmas tree and the Lucy directed play... all saved by Linus telling the realy story of Christmas. Well, anyway, we let the kids watch it, but I was really annoyed just a few minutes into it... "idiot" and "stupid" were said more times than I can remember and I finally had to make an excuse to turn it off.

    Such a treasured memory for me, yet I did not want my kids to think it was okay to act like that.

    We mainly watch Signing Time (it's on PBS) and Hi-5 (on demand) Fun shows that teach something.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete