Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Fast from TV

I've blogged before about my guilt with the television.

I enjoy relaxing and watching tv. However, I feel like a hypocrite watching things that are not glorifying to the Lord (Hello "Real Housewives of NYC"!), yet being so strict about what my kids watch. I really believe that what enters our souls through television effects our hearts and attitudes.

This morning the girls were watching "Oswald" on Noggin. They usually watch this, or Sesame Street for about 45 minutes while I get breakfast ready, clothes laid out or finish getting myself ready.

One of my biggest language no-no's is the phrase "oh my gosh". It's disgusting coming out of my child'smouth. And unfortunely it is on every single children's show. Sesame Street. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Oswald. Pretty much all the shows my kids enjoy.

So after going on and on with Chloe about how it's not okay for her to repeat that phrase, even if Mickey says it, I just thought, what am I doing?! What kind of example is this?! I was so frustrated with myself for justifying polluting my daughter's mind because it entertains her, then disciplining her when she repeats these things she's not supposed to say!

So we're gonna try to eliminate their television watching this next week. I'm shooting for zero t.v., including videos, but we'll see how crazy I am mid-week. They have a ton of Veggie Tales, kid's worship dvds and Baby Einstein they can watch if I need them.

I'm curious to see how this changes Chloe's behavior and our relationship. Obviously I'll need to come up with something to replace tv watching, a fun activity, that's still calming and relaxing.

Talking it over with Andrew he was totally on board. He even suggested just canceling cable, keeping the basic channels. I protested this a tiny bit because I do enjoy me some TLC (Little People, Big World and hello....the Duggars!). We'll see where the Lord leads us.

Any words of wisdom and advice will be greatly appreciated! Please tell me I'm not going off the deep-end!

3 comments:

  1. We have talked about getting rid of the cable and just keeping basics also but like you, I hated to lose TLC (and foodnetwork and HGTV Haha). My son has learned a lot of things from the cartoons that we just don't approve of. Its frustrating that there aren't more wholesome things out there for the kiddos to watch. Good luck with it... I may be hot on your heals with this change shortly also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, you do it and tell me how it goes! i guess the only thing is finding other fun things to occupy time. i bet it really does make a difference. even more of mommy's attention always makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, my two year does watch Clifford and Sesame Street, and believe me I have no problem putting a video in when it is needed (my mommy usually), but we have not ever had cable. My kids, age 11, 9, 7, and 2 do not know what they are missing. Maybe if you stop it now when they are younger it won't be such a battle later on.

    ReplyDelete