Let me repeat.
My daughter came home from church yesterday talking about Hannah Montana.
My 3 1/2 year old daughter heard about Hannah Montana from another 3 year old at church(I am assuming it was another 3 year old since that is the class she was in...). Prior to yesterday she did not know who that was! She doesn't watch t.v. and we don't do character "stuff" for the most part.
Why are 3 year olds watching Hannah Montana? Not that there's swearing and blatant promiscuity, but it's clearly a show about teenagers and their drama, not a show appropriate for a 3 year old.
Right now she's watching Cinderella. Much more age-appropriate. It just upset me, and reminded me of the reality that I cannot keep her in a bubble. As much as I protect, shelter and guide her she will still hear about things like Hannah Montana. It's what I do after she hears these things that will shape her little heart and mind.
We chatted about what's appropriate for a 3 year old (Cinderella!), what glorifies God (focusing on and enjoying things that are good, pure, holy, joyful....) and what we do when we hear about these things ie: Hannah Montana (remember that even if another kid watches/talks about/enjoys it we need to stick to the things her mommy deems appropriate as part of obeying Mommy and obeying God).
Maybe I am crazy and out of touch with reality but I'd like my daughter to keep thinking that her daddy is Prince Charming and keep her in the dark about the world of dating and boyfriends and drama. After all...she is 3! I'm not ready, and neither is she, for her to lose that innocence.
So I guess I am that mom now. I'll be the annoying parent who makes her child call home from a friend's house to ask to watch a movie. I'll be the one who hosts the playdates to make sure the kids are always supervised. I'll be the one who doesn't allow my daughter to call boys when she's 13. I'll be the one who protects her heart and mind no matter the cost or the comments I get from others. I will joyfully be that mom.

Amen sista! I just don't understand why people want to make children older than they are. They are only that young for such a short period. There is plenty to enjoy during that period.
ReplyDeleteThis totally cracks me up! We got Kayden Hannah Montanan Crocs on clearance at the Croc Store for $2.99. She calls them her "Hannah Montanas", they are her fav shoes.....the girl has never seen the show, to her H.M. means purple sparkly crocs! I am with you on being a freak about what your kids are exposed to....why can't they just keep their innocence? There is plenty of time to be "grown up" and all that comes with!
ReplyDelete