Monday, June 8, 2009

Things I've learned...


Things I learned on my MOPS retreat this weekend:
1. When you get a lot of girls together we all lose the freedom to release natural body functions that we free to do at home. We all had bubbly, upset tummies this weekend from holding these natural body functions in. I feel sorry for all the husbands eagerly awaiting the return of their wives because they probably got a very gassy, stopped up wife back.

2. We all feel incredibly uninhibited in sharing birthing stories and honeymoon stories. It reminded me of college in the open nature you feel when surrounded by a group of girls. It's only when you're a wife and mom that you can use certain words and terms and not giggle uncontrollably or turn 18 shades of red.

3. Every group has those few girls that are absolutely hilarious. The stories they share make you feel like you may pee your pants. This then leads to a discussion on how childbearing destroys your bladder and you may even admit to a few pee incidents yourself, things that you swore you'd never share, this leads to even more laughter.

4. The images of "perfection" are ruined when you hear other women's struggles with their kids, struggling to balance all the events in their lives, and see them with no make up and bed head. This reassured me that I am normal, I'm not permanently ruining my children and I'm not the only one with dark circles under my eyes each and every morning!

5. Even though we had the opportunity to go to bed early and sleep in we all sacrificed these things for girl talk, knitting, and eating yummy food.

Finally...

It's a good thing for your kids to miss you while you're gone! It was sooo hard for me to be away from the girls (and Hubs) but seeing Chloe embrace her Daddy last night, snuggling up to him and repeatedly professing her love for him was worth my heartache. This probably wouldn't have happened had I not gone. She is a Mommy's girl through and through and it was sooo good for her to have that special time with Daddy. Praise the Lord I was able to see past the messy house, gnarled and tangled hair and black fingernails. Hubs did a great job with the girls and even said that it wasn't that hard and I could totally go away more often!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good time. It is great seeing the kids and the hubby together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats an awesome post and so sweet that Chloe was all about her Daddy, he must have been in Heaven! Oh by the way my tummy felt better the minute I got home aaaahhhhh :) see you soon

    ReplyDelete