I'm all about my kids being in the world, but not of the world. I feel like God has called me to a place of sheltering them, which has such a negative connotation but I feel is actually very Biblical.
So when the discussion of pre-school came up a few months ago, I was very hesitant. It started with me being very overwhelmed with an almost-4 year old, a struggling two year old and a new pregnancy. My first reasons were very selfish. We prayed about it for a few weeks. I overcame the selfish reasons and started looking at how it might benefit Chloe at this stage in her life.
She wasn't getting much interaction with friends her own age, she had a bit of a "I rule the world attitude" and I felt like putting her in a 3 day a week preschool, recommended by friends who also send their daughter there, would give her a chance to play, craft and learn that the world doesn't revolve around Chloe.
She loved it immediately.
We still plan to homeschool her, starting kindergarten in August. But for now, this works. I pray for her constantly in the 3 hours she's away from me. I pray for protection over her mind and heart. Although it isn't a "Christian preschool", the teacher is a believer and most of the kids come from believing families.
Over Thanksgiving Chloe shared with me a song she learned at school. One, she said, the boys in her class (her class of 6!) were singing. It was NOT an appropriate song for 4 year olds, or 14 year olds for that matter. I was crushed. We talked about the song (the part she sang was not horrible, but I've heard the full song and it's not a good one) and decided it wasn't a song that glorified God (or women for that matter) and so it wasn't a song Chloe should sing.
I told her if the kids sing it again to say her mommy doesn't think that song is appropriate and there are lot's of other songs that are and she could sing one of them.
When her teacher mentioned how last week SHE WAS SINGING THIS SONG WITH THE BOYS and Chloe stated that song was not appropriate and didn't glorify God and so she didn't think they should sing it, she thought it was so precious. Did ya catch that? The teacher was singing the song (with the kids) and my daughter stood up against the temptation to be a follower and did what was right.
My 4 year old.
I could have burst with pride this morning. I explained to the teacher (who didn't know the words or message of the rest of the song) that it's really not a good song to be singing and we told Chloe that and how proud I was of her obedience and strength of character.
I know it's a small victory. But for me, it's huge. It's confirmation that I'm not crazy and overbearing, that my child does listen to me, and that the Holy Spirit is at work in her little heart, prompting her towards the things of God. I love it.
can she look any older or more beautiful!!!
ReplyDeletegood job chloe.... and mommy!!!!