Monday, December 14, 2009

The Tumultuous Twos Are Upon Us

I don't like referring to this joyous year of my youngest daughter's life as the "terrible twos" because it's not all terrible...it's just tumultuous. Some days we're as sweet as sugar, other days we're not. And she's definetly inherited her older sister's sassy mouth. Just this morning as she was taking her sweet time getting into her chair for breakfast I reminded her "Ava, it's time to eat, climb in your chair" and she replied "I AM!". Hmmmm....Chloe, where did she learn that??!!!

Lately my days are filled with lot's of her screaming, followed by giggles, then in the same breath, another scream. It feels like my 13th year all over again. Teenagers and toddlers do have much in common, don't they?? Wanting things their own way, fighting for independence, insisting that they know what is best....the list could go on.

I find it theraputic to vent about this without focusing on how completely frustrated we're feeling lately with this little one. It's almost like I'd forgotten what two was like. Plus Ava's been such an easy going kid up until now! This morning on my way home from taking Chloe to pre-school there was a meltdown in the back seat and I just sang worship songs and prayed myself home, begging God for a graceful spirit towards Miss Ava. And it worked.



My little angel. I asked her to smile and she screamed "no!" at me right before I took this picture. She's such a fireball!

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey, we are going through that with James right now, even though he is an early three. He was pretty easy as a two year old, but now the independence is coming out. Some of it is cute, such as wanting to dress himself, but some of it is not, such as insisting he does not want to take a nap. And he obviously needs one. It is hard for mommas to be consistent with them. Mark says it is like they have PMS. (Thanks Babe.) Keep doing what you know is the right thing to do. They think they know what they need and want, but they don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally relate to you... love the picture, too, you totally captured it! We're struggling with our Ezzy right now - seems like he skipped the twos but it's coming now in the fours.

    ReplyDelete