Monday, July 19, 2010

Time. Slow Down.

(Alternately titled "The Birth of Silas Jett")

I love our baby's name. LOVE it. It sounds a little rock-star-ish, though that's totally not what we were going for. It just happened. We picked Silas because it was a less-used Biblical boy's name. (Silas was a missionary with the Apostle Paul, most famously found in the book of Acts as Paul's traveling companion.) The middle name, Jett, is mostly because my husband loves airplanes. And it flows nicely.

As with my other two pregnancies, Silas measured big throughout the pregnancy. And once again my body didn't seem to want to go into labor on it's own. I call it Lazy Uterus Conspiracy. I dialate well, I efface well. But I just don't contract. At all. So when I was about 37 weeks, dialated to 3 cm and 85% effaced we started talking about induction.

Also because I was huge. And the baby was huge. And my last two babies were huge ( 8.4 and 9lbs). I was nervous about this baby's size and wanted to avoid a c-section at all costs. I'm not a very big girl but the Lord knew what he was doing when he made me because he gave me some great birthin' hips, lemme tell ya!

Our hospitals around here have about 6 labor and delivery rooms. Between two hospitals. That serve three large towns. So it's a always tough to get a room for an induction. Believe, I know, I've had two prior inductions. Both were a week later than originally scheduled because there was no room for us! So on Friday, April 10 when my doctor called and told us to be at the hospital at 6pm the next day we were doubtful it would happen. But it did!  
I got in. Got my water broken. Got some Pitocin after an hour or so of not contracting. Got me an amazin' epidural. (Seriously, this one was a-mazing.) And then we waited. I was already at 4 cm. We were expecting things to go rather quickly, since it was my 3rd and I was already dilated so much. We waited. And waited some more.

Around 1:15 am my nurse came in to see how I was doing. I was feeling a little uncomfortable, but I figured it was from laying in the hospital bed for so long. She decided to check me, and what did she find? A baby head! Sticking out. She paged my doctor and after what seemed like forever and a day he arrived, very sleepy headed. After one barely pushing push Silas' head was out, with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. (Nobody told me this at the time, but I did thing it was funny when my doctor cut the cord immediately instead of letting my husband cut it.)

Another barely pushing push and he was all the way out! All 9lb and 6oz of him! He was very pink and cried right away. He was 20 inches long (my shortest, but fattest, and also baldest baby!) 
So here we are, 3 months and one week later and time has never flown by so stinkin' fast. We don't know if he is our last baby or not, so I'm just pretending he may be and trying to absorb every little moment of him.

The girls absolutely LOVE their brother. Our doctor warned us that Silas would have 3 mommies, not one, and that has proven so true. They love helping and "babysitting" while I shower or get ready in the morning. Chloe's already talking about the next baby we should have and Ava asks me all the time if I bought Silas at the mall (one heck of a shopping trip! ha!).

This blue eyed boy has stolen our hearts! He's such an easy going, calm baby. We are just in love with him and I'm begging time to slow down. But I can't wait to see who this one will become, what his personality will be and enjoy all that he brings to our little family of five.
  

2 comments:

  1. Great birth story. I love your blog and our kids are all close in age, I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely birth story. So cute. Wishing you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete