I tend to carry the burden of my children's behavior around on my shoulders each day. They behave and I rejoice with them. They misbehave, and I question what I'm doing wrong. I forget this key element called sin. I can lead them to the path of good behavior. I can model obedience. I can help them learn what self control is. But ultimately, the choice is theirs. Their hearts are sinful. My heart is sinful. I can give them the tools, but they have to allow the Holy Spirit to mold, repair and build them.
After especially rough days I feel broken. Hubs and I question every little thing that went on with our kids. Are we giving them enough attention? Are our expectations too high? Are we praising their good behavior enough? Are they bored? Are they challenged? Am I praying for them enough? I always put the burden on myself. And it is definetly wearing this mom down!
Jesus said to us "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30. I just want to write this verse on every wall in my house on days when I feel like this.
I remind myself over and over that I can train up my children in the way they should go, but they, ultimately, make the choice to stay or stray from that path.
This post spoke volumes to me last night and I will read it often now. I don't have teens, but I think it applies to all kids. Whenever I question my parenting, I will come back to these examples...am I speaking respectfully to my kids (as I try to teach them to speak to me), am I giving them fair warning of what their day shall hold (or am I being inconsistent? Am I keeping my word with them?), am I diligently trying to woo my children's hearts (or am I too busy, too distracted? Too selfish with my time and energy?). I confess my horns are broken. Very very broken.
I leave it all here, at the feet of our Savior, the Perfect Parent.
I read her post also and it really encouraged me. I am in tranisition (with a 12 year old) who also happens to be my first, so I feel like I am in a huge learning curve. It can be frustrating, but what you said is true. The burden can only be light when we are turning to Him and running to Him for direction.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post that was - truly inspiring. I've been having a lot of similar thoughts lately.
ReplyDelete