Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Start of a New (school) Year!

Well, yesterday was our first "real" day of school and I have to say it was a smashing success! Althought I think Chloe is still a little confused about how this is all going to work. The next couple of weeks I'll really be focusing on getting off to a good start, managing our time well, instilling in my little kindergartner good work ethic and keeping her excited about being home with Mommy. After these two weeks all of our outisde the home activities resume and things will get busy!

For my own rememberance, here's how our day went yesterday:

Girls up at 7, woke up in the living room to their favorite super-cheesy singing/dancing tv show.
Show ended, tv off, breakfast together and Bible reading.
Chores, get ready for the day! (all by 8:30)
Calendar
Read our first FIAR book, Lentil. (Super super cute book)
Ava wandered off at this point, did playdough, puzzles.
Social Studies from Lentil.
We took a snack break here and while they munched pretzels, the girls drew pictures from the book Lentil.
Math from Lentil and our new Singapore Math kinder books. Ava did her own "math book" (an old workbook that she worked on tracing numbers in...).
Then Ava asked to watch "The Letter Factory" dvd (Leapfrog, they love this and it is a great learning tool!)
so I seized this time to do phonics/reading aloud (by Chloe) with Chloe since she really needs concentration for this. Yesterday was the first day that her reading was very fluid, no stopping and sounding out words, and at a pretty good pace. She did great!
By now it was about 11:00, I was ready for a break but the girls were begging for a craft...so we made school buses. Lot's of cutting, tracing and glueing. They loved this and it was fun for them to be able to do it together. Thankfully sweet Silas napped great in the morning and was sleeping most of this time.
Lunchtime.
Nap/Rest time (I was exhausted by this point!)
After her rest time Chloe wrote a letter to her Nana (or Na-Nu if I spell it phonetically like Chloe. This letter cracked me up, but she sounded out and wrote it all independently, so it was precious!)
She kept begging for more school, but Mama was beat at this point and Daddy came home so we called it a day. She can't wait to get started this morning! (They're still in their room, awake since 6, but not allowed to emerge until 7.)

Phew! Okay a few first day of school pics and some cute ones of Silas....

cake and ice cream for breakfast on our first day of school. stole the idea from Rachael.
sweetest. baby. ever.

how will we ever discipline this boy with this beautiful eyes??
Chloe is practicing "staring" at the camera...she looks a little scary!



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great first day yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Looks like success and fun to me!!! Thanks for the detailed update... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, Lisa. I've played around with homeschooling Noah...glad I have some time to think about it. But this gives me some creative ideas to think about. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day to me! Love that they were begging for more school. So sweet. And yes, he is a precious baby and the girls better watch out with those eyes!

    ReplyDelete