Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Compassion

I am anything but a wise, and seasoned mom. I feel like I am still floundering in this giant new world called motherhood.

Lately the Lord has placed on my heart an overwhelming compassion for new moms. My immediate response is to want to share with them what I've learned, experienced and realized in those no-sleep moments of new motherhood. I hardly have wisdom, I barely have experience, but with most cases, I can say I've been there and share what I went through. Sometimes, I've found, just another mom coming alongside of me and saying "I've been there, it will turn out okay" was all I needed to hear.

Knowing my baby isn't the only one in the world who will only sleep on me, never in her crib.

Know I'm not the only one who wanted to put my fist through a wall everytime I heard my newborn cry. (And there is medication that will help this!)

Know that breastfeeding does hurt in the beginning, contrary to what all the nurses told me in the hospital.

Knowing that no matter what I do in raising my children, with prayer and the best of intentions, I am doing my best, no matter how guilty I feel sometimes. It's all we can do: do our very best.

Knowing that even though your due date has come and gone, you will not be pregnant forever.

Knowing, and accepting, that cuteness covers a multitude of sleeplessness.

Looking forward to the day in 18 years when I may get a good nights sleep once again.

Remember that you do not see kids start college still wearing a diaper, sucking their thumb or with a paci in their mouth.

Realizing that everyone wants to give you their opinion. You don't have to listen to all of them. Sometimes it's okay to just nod and smile.

Knowing that my kids are my kids. I will raise them as I feel the Lord lead. It will most likely look different than everyone else.

Realizing, three kids in, how fast babyhood passes you by. Enjoy the snuggle time. Err on the side of love. Always.

Guilt is satan's biggest tool lie to use on mothers. At least it is on this mother. I remind myself of this daily.

Enjoy the fleeting days of motherhood. It is your ministry. It is a gift.  


2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet and wise post Lisa. I love "err on the side of love". Beautiful. I hope I can remember that today as we are going to have a super-busy day.

    ReplyDelete