Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Morning

This Friday morning is unusually dark, cold and quiet. There's one little girl gently wailing in her bed as the morning nudges her awake. She's trying to wake her sister, and when she does they will creep into the hallway, gather the orange bucket full of books then snuggle up in bed to read for a bit. The coffee is hot, the internet is friendly.

This morning I continued reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. Seriously, you must must must buy it. You can get it here for $12.99. I've never pushed a book like I want to push this one. It's like Ann is inside my head, writing everything I've ever thought and wanted to say. Yet her words are clear and invite change, whereas my own words are often jumbled and distracted and only invite discouragement. There is conviction on every page. Every paragraph, in fact. This morning one of the nuggets, among many, sticking in my mind is the phrase "expectation kills relationships". So so so true.

Her book is all about finding joy in the ordinary. Being thankful. Relationship with God, as He intended it to be. And it's changed my days. Changing my attitude. I am so thankful.

This weekend the wall in our backyard goes up, hopefully. I am so excited. It's still a long way until the yard is finished, even usable, but it's a big step in that direction. I just imagine all the summer evenings we will spend out there, laying on soft, new grass, watching six little feet run around, and all the hassle and waiting we're doing as it's completed will be worth it.

Enjoy this weekend! And go buy that book!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lisa! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Go buy that book! I haven't finished mine yet... I'm savoring it a little bit at a time! It is truly life changing! Love, love, love, Ann Voskamp's "1000 Gifts".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! THat book via a friend is changing my life. The difference writing down the things I am thankful for in the mundane and searching for them has absolutely changed who I am and how we are walking through this season of life. I can't wait to get it when I am in the states. So funny how so many different people I know that don't know each other are talking about this book. Each day I have a list on my iPhone that I write down and count the things I am thankful for. In less than 3 days I found I wasn't focusing on the negative any more. And I am with you in how my words/thoughts often lead to discouragement not hope and joy like I want! SO cool to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete