Today I prepped our garden for planting. It was pretty weedy. I had this vision, prior to going outside and starting, of me peacefully removing the weeds whilst children and dog frolicked happily in the yard. There's something so....inviting....serene....so homey about gardening isn't there?? Growing your own produce, fresh summer salads, neatly organized rows of colorful veggies. (Insert snorting laugh here)
Not in this house. The planters were muddy, therefore the children were muddy. My son is 14 months therefore he is pure mischief. He may or may not have eaten a few dirt clods. That was until I hired a babysitter paid my daughters each a dollar to follow him around and make sure he didn't put anything in his mouth.
There was dog poop in the garden. Yes, really. It was humid outside. I couldn't find gloves so now I have man-blisters from hoeing the knee-high weeds. Okay, that was an exaggeration, they were only ankle high. Still.
I sweat(ed?) like never before. But I cleared those weeds. I raked. I hoed. I watered the ground to soften it up for planting.
This thing better yield me some crops or things will get ugly. I'm exciting about the prospect of growing things, other than babies. I'm sure I'll have many more mornings like this one. After all the man-labor I decided to take the baby in the shower with me, we were both pretty gross. He decided to pee all over my bedroom carpet. At least he's got the "watering" thing down, right??
wow, this so captures life with little kids. Nicely said, Lisa.
ReplyDeleteI didnt even do a garden this year because mine have turned out so bad all the other years. Yours looks fantastic!
ReplyDeletethat's so not my garden, so sorry for the misunderstanding. just a pretty picture of what i wish mine would grow into :) there's a google citation in small print under the picture.
ReplyDelete