Last Wednesday the kids and I went for a walk across the street from our house on a walking trail. I brought my camera, hoping to get some cute pics of the kids. I was taking a picture of the girls and Silas walked about 4 feet to my right, where a large metal gate blocked part of the trail. One second later I heard a crash and a cry I'd never heard from my baby. I turned around and metal gate was across his abdomen and legs.
I took him in to our Dr. immediately and he was x-rayed, which showed no broken bones or anything, but Silas wouldn't bear any weight on his left leg. No standing, walking, nothing. A bruise had already begun to form on his little shin. I took him home, assuming that he would rest for a few days and be okay.
Back to the doctor Friday since he still wouldn't walk and was in a lot of pain. Still not finding anything and diagnosed with a deep contusion to his left leg.
It's now six days after his accident and he's still not walking. Yesterday he crawled a lot. And was in a lot of pain. He's frustrated and doesn't want to be carried around all day. I can't blame him. Mornings are the worst because his ibprofun has worn off and he's in a lot of pain.
I'm so angry. Angry at myself for not being right there with him. Angry at the county who "maintains" that gate for letting it fall in such a state of disrepair (it wasn't even on its hinges, just sort of balanced on the poles) that a one year old could get injured just by touching it.
I just want my boy to feel better, to walk without any pain. I'm so incredibly grateful that his injuries weren't more serious, a 65 lb gate across the abdomen of a one year old could be really bad, thankfully it wasn't.
Yikes....How scary!!!! I hope your little one is ok! Don't beat yourself up too badly about it. Accidents happen you can never be everywhere at once. Once time I let my oldest (3 at the time) "help" me make soup, the recipe called for using the blender for the veggies....not thinking I let my son press the on button (his favorite thing to do) to blend STEEMED veggies. The heat had built up in the blender causing it to expload all over us, giving him minor (seemed MAJOR at the time) steam burns. I have never felt so bad in my life. No one is perfect but your obviously a great mom!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry he is hurting Lisa. I know it hurts you also to see him hurting.
ReplyDeleteoh Lisa, that is so horrible!! I am so sorry. That literally just breaks my heart. I totally know that pain of wishing you had been there, and anger about the accident and just plain sorrow for your boy. Praying and hoping he heals quickly - and that you heal, too. I remember Jude at one year falling out of swing onto his face into a pile of rocks. I felt the same emotions - anger that I didn't catch him, that I wasn't close enough. Anger at the restaurant who had the playground for having straps on the swing that broke so easily, and such sorrow for my boy in pain, he had to get stitches on his face.
ReplyDelete