Today reminded me of those reasons all over again, and gave me new amunition. We went to get our Christmas tree. At Lowes.
No snowy forest to cut our own tree in. Not even a rustic, family run, lot where you can cut your own down. Lowes. A step above Home Depot.
I was pretty bitter when we pulled up to the "lot" (chain link fenced area with a meager stock of half dead trees). We got out, in our jeans and light sweatshirts, and went to scavenge for something that resembled a decent tree. I have to admit, we did find a nice one. But the experience as a whole left something to be desired.
Hubby was shaking out the trees to scope their full potential and Chloe was kicking the branches. Seriously, kicking the Christmas trees. Traffic whirred past us. The lone lot worked kept looking at us impatiently. Most of the trees around us were already dead-ish. I told Hubby that this was not the romantic, special family tradition I had hoped for.
Wanna know what he said??
"Do you want to try Home Depot?"
I almost cried.
We loaded our tree up. (Only about 15 minutes this year! Fast compared to last year's 45! All that to drive accross the street!)
She did turn out very pretty. But someday I will get my snowy, rustic Christmas tree tradition in place...
well.... if you moved here, we could all go together to the santa cruz mountains and cut down our trees. =)
ReplyDelete(the word i have to type is fartin) LOL