Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two Dates and Homeschool Thoughts

Just wanted to share a few pictures and a few thoughts...

1. Date with Hubs to see 'Wicked'. Took this at a stoplight on our way down to San Diego.

2. Chloe and I went on a "date" to run errands and hit up Starbucks. It was such a great time with my big girl, she felt very special!

This week Hubs went back to school. Sad. This week Chloe and I started "doing" school. Fun!
We always read a ton, learn Scripture and I try to make everything somewhat educational, whether she's helping me bake and we discuss measuring and cooking, or we go on a walk and talk about the different letters on signs, animals, anything. I don't know how any mommy of a curious 3 year old could not make things educational!
I just wanted to have a somewhat structured, consistent time of Chloe sitting, listening and paying attention to a specific activity. So we started yesterday and so far she loves "doing school". We go over her Sunday school lesson, read a kid's devotional, and she's been doing activities on her V-tech laptop (letters, counting, typing). Ava has been joining in for most of our activities, and if Chloe's working independently well with the computer, I've been doing alphabet blocks with Ava. I've also started being more consistent with getting Chloe to do her "chores" (making her bed, cleaning the playroom and brushing her teeth).
I'm thinking about ordering a k4 curriculum on character development and Bible in September. This sounds lame, but I'm just not sure how to teach that part! And I think it's something Chloe would really enjoy.
I'm really on a mission this next year to research homeschooling and all the aspects of it. I want to make a very informed choice and know what style will work for us come the real start of kindergarten. Chloe is pretty much kinder-ready (academically) now, and I've felt the Lord leading me to really do the character training/Bible stuff this year, rather than focusing heavily on the academics. That is the main reason, after all, that we've chosen this path for our family, to grow up two children who are strong and knowledgeable in their faith.
I'd love to hear any feedback or input on starting homeschooling, good websites or resources you may have!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing great! You are right about making things fun and focusing on character, God's word, and learning to be a good helper in the house. Those things will pay off big time later on. She has many many years to learn academics. But the only thing that will have any eternal value is God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! I didn't know you were planning on homeschooling! I just made the decision to homeschool recently. Spent a few months researching curriculums, options, etc. Kai is 7, so he'll be starting 1st grade, Ezzy's 4 and will tag along - they're in a preschool right now, mainly to learn Spanish and culture here, but will finish in December. After praying, talking with other moms and researching I picked Sonlight. www.sonlight.com I just fell in love with this curriculum and I am sooooo excited to get it - I won't be starting until January, so I have some time to prep and get ready for the challenge, but I'm excited, it's going to be crazy, but I think it's going to be great. :) We'll have to keep in touch as we embark on this journey.

    ReplyDelete