Thursday, July 14, 2011

Men's Shirt Refashion

Let me preface this with two things: 1. Posting a picture of myself (by myself!) on my blog is one of my least favorite things in life. 2. I am an incredibly amateur sew-er. Seriously. If I could do this, anyone could.


Husband had a shirt, Old Navy size medium that had a small hole in it. The hold was pretty small, but couldn't be patched, mended in an unnoticeable way. So the shirt sat, for a long time. (I bought it on clearance for $3, but didn't have the heart to trash it when we saw the hole.)

Here's what I did:
used a seam ripper to remove the collar.
Cut the sleeves shorter and re-hemmed them (I'm sure that's a technical term).
Cut the neck to be boat-like, my favorite shirt neck shape. (Again, with the technical terms.) And folded/sewed that to be more finished looking.
Cut the bottom of the shirt shorter (it's actually a bit shorter than I'd like, but with a tank underneath it's fine). I used all the scraps to make the ruffles (used the machine to sew long stiches, then pulled one end to ruffle the strip of fabric), then sewed the ruffles on the front of the shirt.

The end. Super cute, fun, $3 men's polo refashion!
Linking up to Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest!

The Shabby Nest

4 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! And your a way better seamstress than you give yourself credit for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, this is AWESOME! You look fabulous and I love how the shirt turned out. I'm not a seamstress, but now I'm inspired! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete