Thursday, August 11, 2011

Anthro Dresser Knock-off

Recently I re-finished a dresser we got when my grandparents passed away. I saw a lovely anthro dresser a while back but knew I could never afford it and even if I could, I would never spend that much on one piece of furniture!


I desperately needed a dresser for Silas' room, we'd been using laundry baskets to hold all of his clothes since he'd been born.....super annoying! So I was thrilled to finish this dresser and move it into his room! I feel like it just "makes" his little boy airplane room!


I still need to add drawer pulls, thinking of using twine. I haven't added them yet because there are no stops on the track the drawer sits on and I don't want baby boy to pull the drawers open on himself. The process was pretty simple to refinish it....I used an electric sander to sand off the super old blondish-yellow glaze that has been on this dresser for decades. I distressed the wood in a few places with the sander. I also filled in, with wood filler, the top right above the first drawer. There was a weird flower design, very 1950's. I used a wood glaze and did a few light coats (fyi: wear gloves when you do this! I learned the hard way...). Then used stencil number and flat black spray paint. Total cost: $15! Dresser was free, stain was $7, spray paint $3, and numbers $4! 


Linking up at The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday!

The Shabby Nest

3 comments:

  1. Look at you girl! that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I love it! You're so crafty & talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooh, love numbered drawers!!! This dresser is so cute. You did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete