Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mommy Horror Stories

I was totally inspired by this post at one of my favorite blogs, Rage Against the Minivan (isn't her blog name awesome!?). Dealing with other peoples' kids can be a very touchy subject. Most of the time, I can be very non-confrontational and try to, in a need-be situation, gently guide someone else's kid out of wrong behavior etc but it's always so uncomfortable. I always hope that close friends of mine would correct my child, gently and lovingly, if the situation warranted correction and I wasn't around to do it.

So I thought I'd share one of my horror stories in dealing with someone else's kid...and invite you to do the same! We can all get a good laugh and maybe some pointers!

When Chloe was really young I took her to the park and met a friend and her daughter there. I'm not a huge fan of the park because I don't love dealing with other people's kids there. You always have those moms that just check out because their kid is playing and they don't think they have to watch them closely. I'm the opposite of that mom.

 You could even call me a bit helicopter-mom-ish.

Anyways. So me, Chloe, friend and her daughter are playing on the ground in the sand and there's this little girl who has been pestering us to push her on the swing. We're clearly in conversation and involved with our own kids and this girl is probably about five years old. Her mother is sitting 50 feet away deep in convo.

She goes from pestering us, to demanding that we "get over there and push her on the swing". Still her mom is absent. I told her she should go ask her mommy to come push her since I needed to watch my own (barely a toddler) daughter.

When I didn't jump at the chance to push this kid she got mad and climbed the play structure to this landing that happened to be right above us and started spitting her cookies down on us.

Yes, I said spitting on us.

My friend asked her to stop and gently corrected her and the girl ran off. Ran over to her mom and gave us stink-eye from there. Her mom, still not noticing anything was going on, kept right on talking.

I think we left shortly afterwards. I was horrified.

So, share your Mommy horror story! Was it at the park? A birthday party? How do you deal with other people's kids??


1 comment:

  1. Very strange...she was spitting cookies on you?!!!

    I know what would have happened to her if she was my child....

    ReplyDelete