Friday, August 10, 2012

I Blinked and Summer Was Over

The title of this post says it all. How are we already getting school stuff together and just yesterday it was June and freedom from responsibility was fresh in the air??!! We are homeschooling again this year. Chloe will be in second grade, Ava in kindergarten! Silas, along for the ride!

I'm excited to homeschool again. Truthfully, last spring I was doubting myself a ton and my ability to educate my girls they way they should be educated, which led to a panic and a serious consideration of enrolling them in a local charter school, full time regular classroom situation. Just in the last few weeks I've felt more at peace with homeschooling than ever before. The Lord will not call me to do something and then not give me the skills to complete that task! I've always said that we'll take our schooling situation year by year, kid by kid. Really I was thinking that eventually they will all go to school, now I just don't know. I'm really open to being homeschoolers for life. We'll see how things go!

We were out of town for what seemed like ages and this poor blog's been so neglected. Those faithful readers checking in on me....bless you! We went to visit college friends and family and it was amazing and bittersweet and fun and relaxing and rejuvinating all in one trip. I think Silas grew about 6 inches in those ten days we were gone. We learned our puppy does not like us leaving her at my in-laws house while we're gone. She decided not to be potty trained for the four days she was there without us. That was not fun. We learned that our mini-van is such a blessing from God! All the extra space and strong, faithful air conditioner made the 40 hours we spent in the car bearable. We traveled almost the entire length of California and spent 40 hours over the course of 10 days in our van. We also learned that the best seat buddy for Silas is me! And a traveling tip for those with littles....carry a potty in your car! We keep a potty training "toilet" in the trunk along with an old pack of newborn diapers. Place an open diaper in the potty cup and have child pee into diaper. Saves many a trip into gross gas station bathrooms!

I have a zillion pictures to download but haven't edited one of my own kids in ages. Soon, I promise. Chloe's lost more teeth than ever before, we just can't keep them in her mouth and we already have an orthodontist consultation scheduled, poor girl. She has gotten her mama's teeth. Ava turns five in three weeks! Can't believe she's so big. And Silas has "graduated" into a big boy bed. And he wants to name the baby sticks, or socks, or something that sounds similar with a short e sound. Don't know where he heard that!

My air conditioner's working hard these days. The husband and I rearranged some furniture this morning and I have a new zebra striped rug under our kitchen table. That rug makes me smile everytime I see it. Oh yeah, I turned 30, and survived. I think it'll be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment